September 18, 2008

Walking the Cat.

One time, I saw a lady walking her cat. This was one of the most ridiculous things I've seen. Leash around her neck, the cat stopped halfway on the crosswalk and caused a mild traffic jam. The lady tugged embarrassingly for her cat to walk. Of course, a cat has a mind of its own and it sat contently there licking its paw. As cars started piling behind one another, the lady finally scooped up her "domesticated" cat and walked on.

Every time I remember that incident, I always laugh. Who would be silly enough to put a cat on a leash? But then I think... what in my life do I try to "put a leash" on? There are things in our lives that we can't really control, but we try to manipulate it. It could be our relationships, our career paths, our hobbies. After some time, we habituate to it, but people who are on the outside can see how ridiculous we look balancing all these spinning plates. So I wonder if I'm trying to walk any cats right now, and if so, what am I trying to put on a leash?

1 comment:

Michael said...

Spinning plates!!! Sounds like a strong reference from C.J. Mahaney's Cross Centered Life :)

You know what's crazy? Even though we think that walking cats is ridiculous, we may not think so (amidst observation and admonishment from those who care about us).

It shows just how warped our minds can become...and yet how it is oh so important to be immersed in the Word as well as being in constant fellowship with the local assembly :D