May 5, 2010

Hello. Goodbye.

I've been babysitting for a classmate this semester so that she can attend class. Today, the boys showed me their caterpillars. They named them Humongo, Tiny, Chub-Chub, and Junior. Brother1 tells me about caterpillars. Brother 2 tells me all about penguins, especially Emperor penguins that can weigh up to 80-100lbs. They tell me about baseball and make me listen to the Giants vs. Marlin game. (Note to self: Must expose them to basketball.) Because of them, I have read and watched Dragonball Z, Justice League, and Sponge Bob. I like helping them with their homework and reading bedtime stories. Tonight, I read a story about a Princess and Pizza to expose them to girl stuff. (I once asked them what it'd be like if they had a sister, which rendered them speechless. )

As this semester draws to a close, I am confronted with the idea of saying goodbye. It's strange but you think that saying goodbye would get easier the older you get and the more you have to say it. Not true. It still hurts. And as we sat at the dinner table, the youngest brother looked up at me.

"You'll still be my babysitter, right?"

How do you say no?
How do you say goodbye?
Can we press pause on our moments together please?

I'm not ready for goodbye.
But time doesn't wait.

(How about "See you later" instead of "goodbye"?)

1 comment:

Dru Tan said...

So how did you answer their question?

And what did you learn about the Justice League? Did they show you the glories of Justice League Unlimited?