May 31, 2010

Names.

Shakespeare once wrote, "What's in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." I guess a name doesn't make a difference since a person will still be made of the same stuff on the inside. (But I do wonder if a name contributes to making who you are. For example, I've met some mean Rachels so now I am wary when I meet a Rachel.) Anyway, maybe a name doesn't make a difference, but a good one can sure be fun! In Asia, people get to name themselves. Here are some great ones I have come across so far.

5. Elvis. Hello, Asian Elvis.
4. Sunny. My male cousin. Not Sonny.
3. Feeling Chan.
2. Bingo! Call him Bing(!) for short.
1. Anfernee. (When asked if it was Anthony, he adamantly insisted on Anfernee.) This is my personal favorite so far.

When I wrote a thank you email to my Aunt Eliane, I tried to write in Chinese. In response, she wrote, "tiffany:Thks a lot.Your letä»–er I can read,but cannot write.Donot write in chinese." Auntie Eliane, you have not shattered my self-esteem and I will continue trying to write to people in Chinese!

If you could change your name, would you?

1 comment:

deBOrah said...

anfernee?! love it.

my cousin who lives in taiwan originally named herself cinderella. and then i think she got older and decided that probably wasn't the best choice so now she's christina >_<

..don't think i'd change my name. although when we were younger my sister used to call me bubba. i kinda like that...