July 17, 2010

Boo-Boos.

A couple weeks ago, I injured my foot. No one knew about it because it's in a strange spot and I don't go barefoot in public too often. It went unnoticed by everyone but a 2-year old. As I babysat her, she happened to be playing at ground level with her dolls. She only has a few words in her vocabulary, but she noticed my "boo-boo", came over and kissed it.

So simple.
So sweet.
And pure.

Because when I think about, I don't think anyone besides my parents would ever kiss my foot. When we get older, we are too conscious of dirt and germs and everything gross. We are too conscious of what we should and shouldn't do. We are governed by rules and rights and wrongs. Of course many of these things are necessary, but this care she showed was done without a second thought. It was so simple, and yet I come back to that memory a month later because I think of how it demonstrates a love that is pure. No thought of oneself, only of healing someone else's hurt. And I think about how Jesus would not only wash my feet as a symbol of his servant heart, but also die for me as a symbol of his love, grace and sacrifice. I don't think this action was so simple, but I wonder if Jesus saw it so that it was. "Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross." (Philippians 2:5-8) He did not consider it robbery.


If grace is an ocean,
we're all sinking.

3 comments:

Dru Tan said...

How would you feel if that two year old caught some disease from your foot?

mike said...

that remind me of my foot injury from a little over a month ago...

i was at yellowstone waiting for old faithful to erupt, sitting on the boardwalk in my sandals. a little girl and a grandpa were talking about geysers and volcanoes. the little girl noticed the scrape on my toe and said, "look! that man's toe has a boo-boo!" to which the grandpa sitting next to her said, "that's what happens when you walk on lava too much."

that put a smile on my face....

tia said...

this is so sweet .....