July 21, 2010

MEMO Man.

Disclaimer: This is not meant to be a judgmental post. I am only writing about my classroom highlights.

Last week, I started my two summer courses which means I am in class everyday from 1-5:30pm. I actually wish I hadn't signed up for classes because I would like a break from academia. (Have you ever noticed how academia looks like macadamia? Now I just want to go to Hawaii.)

One of my highlights is seeing what my classmate will walk in wearing. I can't tell if he's trying to dress metro or emo. For lack of a better phrase, I call it MEMO. This Monday, he wore a sweater that would have won at my Christmas Ugly Sweater Party. The next day, it was a collared shirt with huge purple, green, and white stripes that evoked thoughts of Barney the Purple Dinosaur. Every outfit is topped with skinny jeans and a leather man purse. Murse. (To all the men out there who do not wear skinny jeans or short-shorts, thank you.)

Do you think me a judgmental bully with no right to pick on an unsuspecting bystander? From the MEMO outfits I have described above, you may have likened him to Steve Urkel. But wait! He walks in wearing all these MEMO outfits with a Kobe-esque air of confidence. As he mentioned in class, he used to be a swimmer and maintains his swimmer physique. (I have no idea how this related to the topic of people with disabilities.) He walks in strutting his stuff like he's the man and all I want to do is laugh because it reminds me of Aesop's crow sticking peacock feathers in its butt. In the end, I took his self-confidence as permission to write this. Character trumps clothes any day.

I am really bad at not judging a book by its cover.
I hope he surprises me.

(To my joy, he came in wearing suspenders over a plaid shirt today. MEMO man strikes again!)

3 comments:

Jack Zhu said...

I agree...men should never wear skinny jeans...there are no exceptions.

lemmyboy said...

this post made me laugh so hard i dropped my man purse.

Dru Tan said...

I think this was one of your better pieces of writing in recent memory. I don't think it's judgmental at all. But I think the notion of you as a bully is rather amusing. You did use a lot of elbows when we were playing ball, I noticed.

I think you should start taking pictures of MEMO Man. This one time when I took a class at Skyline, I sat behind this one older guy in his forties and he had a godly mullet. So I just used my cell phone and surreptitiously took photos of the back of his head.

The guy probably thinks he is some sort of clever hipster. Does he have a patronizing attitude and talk to everyone with a tone of condescension? That's the impression I get. This reminds of me this one classmate I had when I took a class at City College. I wrote about it here:
http://tanbarkers.blogspot.com/2007/09/why-i-hate-humanity-reason-6921.html

Except I wasn't anywhere nearly as gracious as you.