May 15, 2017

Mother's Day Grace.

Whenever I look at my son, I'm reminded that it was him who gave me the honor of being a mother.

Side tangent: He learned to put on his socks by himself recently. Every night after we've put him down to bed and closed his door, I hear his pitter patter footsteps. Apparently he's been getting out of bed, opening his sock drawer, taking a pair out, and putting on socks by himself. He's learned to put on his pants, too and sometimes he puts them on backwards. It's funny to see him run around with a drawstring on the back. I don't think I'll ever correct him because all too soon children become teenagers who will care all too much about what's right and what's wrong. The innocence makes it sweet.

Today is Mother's Day and something I shared with another mother beforehand is that I don't deserve to be celebrated in any way. I fail every day and the hardest thing for me is to extend grace to myself. I fail as a person, but motherhood has somehow highlighted my failures even more. I see my sins daily in my selfishness, impatience, or anger towards my children. Being tired definitely makes me more prone to sin, but it should not and cannot be an excuse for my sin. Then I realized I fail every day because I am a sinner.

But.

Christ died for me.

And when He did that, He bore my sins on the cross.

Today is not about how I am a mother and deserve acknowledgement for what I do, but about how God gave me the honor of being a mother. It is a calling He has entrusted me with to bless and sanctify. I will continue to fail but my family member's quickness to forgive is a reminder of His goodness and grace towards me and praise God for that.

A thousand times I failed
Still Your mercy remains
And should I stumble again
I'm caught in Your grace. 

No comments: