November 24, 2008

Run.

If I could be any animal, I would be a bird so that I could fly.
If I were an element, I would choose the wind.

I would soar and dance in circles around and through the eddies. Travel to and fro throughout the lands. In underground caves and over open seas. Perhaps that's why it's been hard for me to stay put. With that, though, is the concept that I was not made for this place. C.S. Lewis said, "If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." I recognize I was not made for here and, inside, I sense a longing for something MORE. The challenge now is to stay here and be faithful with what God has allotted to me.

Since I cannot fly, I will use what I have and run. Running gets the things that I cannot express out of me. The funny thing is, I'm not even good at it. I just do it because I need to get out.

And on the path I run. I run on a lone path with only the sky as its roof. Under the worn overpass, around the golden trees. Boom, boom, boom. The pound of my footsteps woven with the beat of my heart. The beat. The pace. The trees. The open expanse of sky. The cold air bites my skin, but the sun warms my face. Boom, boom, boom. And in those moments, I am just me and everything is what it is. Things are simple, things just are. And it is so easy to see the roundness of the earth in the sky. How small I am, how great God is. Who am I, Lord, that you should care to know my name? I am not made for here. But while I am here, since I cannot fly, I will run. Because when I run, I remember who I am and who He is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tiffany have you heard of Amy Carmichael? She was a missionary to India and was a mother to 1,000 Indian children, though she remained single all her life. When I learned about her story, I had this image in my life: There will be many civilian affairs (2 Tim 2:4) trying to entangle us in life and demanding our love and attention, but we must run the race with a singular focus and goal, because He loves us so.

Jonathan said...

Because it wasn't until the third time that I had the courage to see